Monday, April 16, 2012

Photosynthesis Fail

As some of you may know I've been trying to work on a photographic process deemed chlorophyll printing. The process is done by printing a positive image onto transparency paper and placing it on top of leaves or grass, anything with chlorophyll and capable of photosynthesis. The two are then sandwiched between glass and left out in the sun for days and sometimes up to several weeks. The result is the image printed onto the leaf through the process of photosynthesis. The dark areas of the positive block out the light revealing dark spots and vice verse with the light areas, hence why a positive must be used.

Binh Dahn, a California based artist, is most famous and quite possibly the creator of this process.



However, I've run into quite a few problems. The biggest issue was searching for large enough and appropriate leaves to use, since the leaves on the trees here haven't quite sprouted yet. Secondly, the leaves that I have tried (such as spinach and rhododendron leaves) either became to brittle and soggy or simply were too dark for the process. Thirdly, I underestimated the amount of time and sun that this process truly takes. And lastly. The forecast is calling for a week of rain starting Saturday. So, I guess this is me temporarily putting a halt on this idea of mine until a better time such as the summer.

So this leaves me with a predicament, what alternative process images am I going to create within 11days...

I guess I need to do some researching, again.

No comments:

Post a Comment